This is a visualisation of a knowledge graph created from the Science Museum Group's online collection, blog and academic journal using machine learning. It's part of the Heritage Connector project.
How to navigate:
- Drag to pan, scroll to zoom.
- Click a dot to show more information about that item. You can keep multiple information panes open at once.
- You can view the visualisation coloured by the Science Museum's collection categories by clicking Collection Category at the top right.
How to read:
This plot has been produced by projecting 800-dimensional data to 2 dimensions using an algorithm called UMAP. As a result:
- Larger distances (e.g. between clusters) don't mean anything.
- Similarly, sizes of clusters don't mean anything.
- This is one of many possible representations of the higher dimensional space, so it shouldn't be treated as an objective view of the data.
For more information on how to read UMAP plots, check out this article